Iconizer Plug-in in Windows 7 (64-bit)
This tutorial explains how to use the Iconizer plug-in in Microsoft Windows 7.
There are 32-bit and 64-bit types of Windows 7. You can find out which type of Windows 7 you have on your PC by right-clicking the Computer icon on the Desktop, and choosing the Properties command in the popup menu which appears on the screen. Check the System type line in the System section of the dialog box which appears on the screen to find out whether you have 32-bit Operating System or 64-bit Operating System (Picture No. 1).
Picture No. 1
This tutorial is intended for users of 64-bit Windows 7.
The 64-bit Operating System Windows 7 uses 64-bit version of Windows Explorer, which cannot load libraries of the current 32-bit Iconizer plug-in. Therefore Windows Explorer in Windows 7 (64-bit) does not show design icons using Iconizer plug-in.
There are two solutions to this problem:
Solution A: Use dialog box for opening or saving files from any 32-bit application running in 64-bit Windows 7.
1. Run Embird, it is a 32-bit application.
2. Select Color Palette > Load menu. This will display a dialog box for opening file (Picture No. 2).
3. Select All Files (*.*) option in Files of type box, and Large icons in icon size menu (arrow 1 and 2 in Picture No. 2).
These steps will launch a 32-bit dialog box for opening files, so Iconizer plug-in will show icons for designs. Of course, you must first enable showing of Iconizer icons for embroidery extensions as explained in the tutorial for the Iconizer plug-in, step 6.
Picture No. 2
Solution B: Run Embird and Iconizer plug-in using Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode, special programs developed for Windows 7 by Microsoft.
Warning: Please do not mistake this solution with the setting of Compatibility mode to Windows XP (Service Pack 2) in the Properties of file. This will not solve the problem of showing Iconizer icons in Windows Explorer.
1. Download and install Windows XP Mode and then Windows Virtual PC. Both programs are available for downloading at Microsoft web site at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
2. Launch Windows XP Mode by clicking in Windows 7 to Start > All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode (Picture No. 3 and Picture No. 4).
Picture No. 3
Picture No. 4
3. The Windows XP Mode window will be launched (Picture No. 5).
Picture No. 5
4. While running Windows XP Mode, please install Embird and your plug-ins. Select Start > Run menu to run the installation file of Embird or plug-in (Picture No. 6).
Warning: Embird and plug-ins must be installed from Windows XP Mode, not from Windows 7!
Picture No. 6
5. Browse to installation file (arrow 1 in Picture No. 7), and run it by clicking OK button to start the installation process (arrow 2 in Picture No. 7).
Picture No. 7
6. Once the installation process is finished, launch Embird by double-clicking its icon from Desktop in Windows XP Mode.
7. In Embird, click eXplorer menu to launch Windows Explorer (32-bit) in Windows XP Mode (Picture No. 8).
Picture No. 8
8. Windows Explorer (32-bit) window will appear on the screen, showing the icons of designs (Picture No. 9). If you haven't already done so during the installation process, enable showing of Iconizer icons for embroidery extensions as explained in tutorial for Iconizer plug-in, step 6.
Note: Iconizer plug-in shows icons only in Windows Explorer (32-bit) when running in Windows XP Mode. It does not show icons in Windows Explorer (64-bit) launched directly from Windows 7 (64-bit).
Picture No. 9